Monday, May 12, 2008

Thing 14 - To trust or not to trust?

  • How could you introduce these resources to your students?
    • These could be introduced as part of a dribbling exercise...have students search for the same info using google vs. an evaluated database.
  • Have you dealt with the impatience of students waiting for that instant answer? How do you handle that?
    • I think it is mainly practice. We are just used to google. If you get students in the habit of using other resources...that's the key. Our librarian, the lovely Ms. Preller, has posted large signs over each computer in the libes over each computer directing students to the SPPS on-line resources pages.
  • What other reliable online resources do you rely on?
    • Unfortunately, I still google...usually just to verify something I already know. Because I'm looking for info related to chem problems, google usually takes me right to university websites. Most of the databases I've looked at simply don't go into enough detail for the chemistry questions I have.

No comments: