Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Academic Integrity

I agree with Leslie that we need a uniform policy on academic integrity. I'm am hoping for it to be very specific and with consequences. I don't think they need to be dire like failing the class. I prefer the approach in which students have an opportunity to make up for their poor choices. For example, re-doing the project, writing an apology letter, appearing before a formal student-teacher academic integrity committee...things that are uncomfortable enough (yes, a little shame never hurt anybody...ha ha ha) to be a strong deterrent. I think we need to be tougher on them much sooner, before they make mistakes when it really counts (like in college) that could negatively affect their futures.

1 comment:

L. M. Peifer said...

I agree! Wouldn't it be nice if we knew everyone was on the same page in the district on academic integrity!