Saturday, February 9, 2008

More on Thing 12 - Comparing search engines

I tried out the tools for comparing search engines side-by-side. I like the google/yahoo graphical comparison the best. Some of google's top returns (but yahoo's low returns) were the strictly informative sites on the history of bolero, which is what I would be the most interested in. Jux2.com seemed less helpful, as everything was only compared to msn.com.

Metasearch engines:
1 - Dogpile's hits were more commercial.
2 - Clusty was slow, but I liked the detailed description of each site.

Visual Search Engines
1 - Their mascot is a little creepy, but I liked the visual format of kartOOif one is brainstorming around a topic and trying to figure out where they want to go. It can, however, pick up a lot of irrelevant sub-search criterion. For example, I was looking at the results from "Bolero Dance" and ended up following this thread: Bolero Dance - Studies - Mathematics - Departments - Webmaster. I seems the webmaster for one dance site works in the math dept at a university. So that thread was obviously irrelevant.

2- I couldn't find Qunitura at first b/c it is actually spelled Quintura. It is a nice combo of visual and list format.

3 - OK - now musicplasma.com was way more cool than I expected. For a certified movie-junkie, its just heaven. It contains a visual map of movies by topic or director or actor. Ist is like 6 degrees of separation or 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon...whichever you prefer.

No comments: