Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thing 12 - Other Search Engines - What's Bolero?

In order to compare different search engines, I looked for information on one of my favorite dances, the Bolero. I entered "Bolero Dance" in the search bar.

Google - More informational sites came up in the top 10. The sponsored sites were off to the side so it is easy to ignore them.

Ask.com - More commercial sites popped up in the top 10. However, I like the sidebar with suggestions on narrowing or broadening one's search. I also just noticed that the main sites were sandwiched between the sponsored sites. There is so much to wade through as it is that I don't want anything unnecessary returned.

Yahoo - More informational sites came up and it gave suggestions for further searching.

MSN - I don't know if my server suddenly screeched to a halt, but MSN was extremely slow. It finally returned results similar to google.

I did another search on "celtic cross" images. Google and ask.com were fast and returned similar results. Yahoo was fast, returned color images at the top of the list, but also returned inappropriate images. MSN was fast this time (OK, so maybe it was my server), primarily color pics, but no inappropriate images.

No comments: