Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thing 1 - Core - Information Semi-literate but Stale

I thought I was "Info Girl", able to access large quantities of information in a single click. But I realize that I'm more like "Info Girl" with a hang-over. I used to be up to speed and unafraid of digging through stacks of musty reference books in the library basements, but when it comes to internet research, my gusto is lacking. I was a googler and wikipedier because they are easy. I knew how to find reliable information or who to ask to get me there, but I was out of practice and stale. I didn't want to be organized, do a logical keywork search...that is once I got the password to the databases from the reference librarian. Finally I sat down with the Queen of the Harding Castle, our illustrious and regal librarian Ms. Preller, to walk me through the databases available through spps connect. I think that was the most important thing I needed: a hands-on walk through, then it is up to me to practice, practice, practice. Marcia and I are going to come up with some worksheets asking the students to find particular facts that they will only be able to find using the academic databases, not google.

No comments: