Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thing 4 - You Gotta Love those Librarians

Libraries have always held a special place in my heart. When doing research projects in high school, I did feel overwhelmed by the number of resources at our public library. But once I dug in, I felt I had all the resources I needed to do a thorough job. Now, whatever sense of "overwhelmingness" I had among the stacks pales in comparison to doing research on the internet. At least there was a finite end to the resources at the library. Internet research requires far more picking and choosing. I think our students need help dealing with feeling overwhelmed also. Perhaps we should construct more assignments that are scoffalded...using just 1 databases, then 2, then 3, etc. I've always had great experiences with librarians and have been amazed at how quickly they can find information.

No comments: