Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What the Terminator taught my kids about quarks...

Today (well, 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't get into blogger), I did a lesson on subatomic/fundamental particles. I have almost all of my atomic structure notes on power point now. So I did the notes on quarks (up, down, top, bottom, strange, & charm) on power point. As part of the powerpoint, we had pictures of particle pathways in bubble chambers, linear & circular accelerators, and the equipment at CERN in Switzerland. I even credited the pictures I used...quite miraculous for me! We then connected to the internet to see pictures of the inside workings of an accelerator and to get a sense of their relative size...huge! Finally, I played a clip from the Terminator 3 DVD on my laptop. Although "Hollywoodized", the scene in which the terminator is chasing the hero through a circular accelerator is a pretty good representation. OK, minus the blinking neon lights. Also, the scene emphasizes the use of strong magnets. (The terminator, made of metal, sticks to the accelerator when it is turned on and the magnets are activated.) Goofy, but memorable. Could I have done all of this prior to getting this equipment? Sure. In fact I have, but it was like running a circus...flipping between the overhead projector, a borrowed LCD projector & laptop, and cueing the VCR repeatedly for this one scene. With the metronet equipment, it took about a 3rd of the time in the end, and I was able to show and explain more. I felt like having the equipment I need to do a good job is respectful of both my time and my students' time.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sounds like a great lesson Jamie! I'm glad the whole "technology thing" is making life easier . . . that really is one of the main points. Thanks for sharing about your lesson.